Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
- Court Ruling In Flash Floods That Killed 20 At SW Arkansas Campground
Local & Regional News
Thu February 13, 2014
AG's Office Warns About Phone Hang-Up Scam
The Arkansas attorney general's office is warning consumers about a phone scam that's geared to get people to make calls that result in exorbitant charges.
The office said Wednesday that the scam works by an automatic dialer ringing consumers' phones, with the hope that they'll be curious enough to dial the number from the missed call. Returning the call can result in high fees, as when calling a 900 number.
Attorney General Dustin McDaniel says the numbers on caller ID have three-digit area codes, so they appear to be from the United States. But the calls generally originate from countries in the Caribbean.
McDaniel says the purpose of the calls is "taking money from unsuspecting victims."