Most Active Stories
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Director Of UAMS Myeloma Institute Stepping Down
- Clinton School Building Becomes Oldest In Arkansas To Receive Certification
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
Tue February 26, 2013
Arkansas Governor Vetoes 20-Week Abortion Ban
Arkansas Governor Mike Beebe has vetoed HB 1037, also known as the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, which would have banned most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
"House Bill 1037, if it became law, would squarely contradict Supreme Court precedent," the Governor said in a written statement Tuesday.
The Governor also said that he had concerns about the constitutionality of the bill and had to factor the potential cost to tax payers for lawsuits that would likely be filed against the state if the bill became law.
The bill passed by large majorities in both the House and Senate.