Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Former KLRE Manager Madison Hodges Dies
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Human Rights Campaign Releases First Large-Scale Survey of LGBT Arkansans
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
Local & Regional News
Fri April 19, 2013
Arkansas Lawmaker Criticized For Boston Manhunt Tweet
An Arkansas lawmaker is apologizing for the timing - but not the content - of a tweet he sent questioning whether "Boston liberals" wished they had an assault weapon to protect themselves while police searched for a Boston Marathon bombing suspect.
Republican Rep. Nate Bell on Friday morning posted on Twitter: "I wonder how many Boston liberals spent the night cowering in their homes wishing they had an AR-15 with a hi-capacity magazine?" Bell's comments rapidly spread online, as police hunted for a suspect in Monday's Boston Marathon bombing that killed three.
Bell said he regretted the timing of the tweet.
Republican House Speaker Davy Carter apologized for Bell's remark, calling it insensitive. The top Democrat in the House called the tweet "tasteless."