Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Director Of UAMS Myeloma Institute Stepping Down
- Clinton School Building Becomes Oldest In Arkansas To Receive Certification
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
Local & Regional News
Tue August 20, 2013
Arkansas Lawmaker Steps Down From Senate Seat
Democratic state Sen. Paul Bookout is stepping down from his Senate seat after a state ethics panel said he spent thousands of dollars from his campaign on personal items such as women's clothing and home theater equipment.
Bookout announced Tuesday he was resigning immediately from the state Senate seat that he has held since 2006. Bookout served as president of the state Senate in the 2011 and 2012 legislative sessions.
Bookout's resignation comes after the state Ethics Commission last week fined him $8,000 and issued a letter of reprimand for violating laws prohibiting the personal use of campaign funds and not detailing the expenditures in his
The panel also said that more than $18,000 from the campaign was transferred to Bookout's personal bank account.