Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Wed August 28, 2013
Arkansas Lawmakers Request Federal Help After Storms
The state's federal lawmakers are requesting disaster assistance from the government for damage caused by recent storms and flooding.
The federal lawmakers sent a letter Wednesday to President Obama and FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate in support of Gov. Mike Beebe's request for a major disaster declaration for six counties in Arkansas.
The counties include Benton, Boone, Carroll, Madison, Marion and Newton.
The delegation's letter comes in response to severe storms and flooding in August that caused extensive power outages and storm debris.
The state and local communities are working to clean up and rebuild, but the lawmakers say federal assistance is needed to fully recover.