Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Guardsmen Prepare For Major Quake
Wed April 17, 2013
Arkansas National Guard Takes Part In Regional Earthquake Training
Members of the Arkansas National Guard, along with guardsmen from Oklahoma, Indiana, Louisiana, and Texas are conducting emergency training in Oklahoma to prepare in case a major earthquake strikes the region.
The exercise called "Vigilant Guard" will be held Wednesday at the Camp Gruber Training Site near Braggs in northeastern Oklahoma. The guardsmen are to hold the training that simulates a 7.7-magnitude earthquake occurring along the New Madrid fault in Northeast Arkansas and northward into other states.
The soldiers and airmen will use specialized equipment and practice rescue and recovery operations in piles of rubble and collapsed building structures.