Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Broker Details $2 Million In Commissions In Martha Shoffner Trial
Teen Birth Rate
Thu May 23, 2013
Arkansas's Teen Birth Rate High, But Dropping With Rest Of US
A report from the CDC and the National Center for Health Statistics says teen birthrates are dropping in the US in all but two states.
Arkansas is among the states where the rate is dropping, but it has one of the highest rates.
Arkansas had a 16 percent decline in overall teen births between 2007 and 2011.
Brady Hamilton, a statistician with the National Center for Health Statistics, says the study can help shape public policy regarding teen pregnancy.
“The importance of this is that teens are – teen births are – the focus of public policies and programs designed to limit the number of births for those particular age groups, and this report for example, allows people to sort of see where there have been large declines and where rates remain high and for what particular groups,” Hamilton said.
The study looked at teen pregnancy in the context of various races and ethnic groups between 2007 and 2011.