Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
- Court Ruling In Flash Floods That Killed 20 At SW Arkansas Campground
Local & Regional News
Thu May 9, 2013
Beebe Lends Name To Effort To Combat Hunger
Anti-hunger organizations are getting ready for the nation's most expansive food drive.The "Stamp Out Hunger" drive is set for Saturday, and Gov. Mike Beebe is holding an event at the Arkansas Capitol at 9:30 a.m.
Thursday to promote the food collection. Letter carriers on their regular routes Saturday are to pick up food left by mailboxes.The effort is the largest one-day food drive in the nation.
Officials say "Stamp Out Hunger" has collected more than 1 billion pounds of food.This year, 7,000 grocery bags were distributed around Arkansas to encourage people to give.The drive's sponsor is the group Feeding America. It helps supply six food banks in the state, including the Arkansas Foodbank.