Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Thu May 9, 2013
Beebe Lends Name To Effort To Combat Hunger
Anti-hunger organizations are getting ready for the nation's most expansive food drive.The "Stamp Out Hunger" drive is set for Saturday, and Gov. Mike Beebe is holding an event at the Arkansas Capitol at 9:30 a.m.
Thursday to promote the food collection. Letter carriers on their regular routes Saturday are to pick up food left by mailboxes.The effort is the largest one-day food drive in the nation.
Officials say "Stamp Out Hunger" has collected more than 1 billion pounds of food.This year, 7,000 grocery bags were distributed around Arkansas to encourage people to give.The drive's sponsor is the group Feeding America. It helps supply six food banks in the state, including the Arkansas Foodbank.