Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Local & Regional News
Wed May 22, 2013
Beebe: Working Quickly To Pick New Arkansas Treasurer
Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe said he hopes to name a replacement in the next several days for the state treasurer, who resigned over accusations she took cash bribes from a bond broker.
Beebe told reporters Wednesday he's already talked with some candidates to fill the unexpired term of Treasurer Martha Shoffner, who resigned on Tuesday.
Shoffner, a Democrat, stepped down amid federal charges that she accepted at least $36,000 in cash in exchange for steering state business to a bond broker.
The governor would not say who he's considering for the post.
Beebe said he wants to find someone "relatively apolitical" who has a firm understanding of fiscal matters and the way the treasurer's office is run.
Whoever Beebe appoints to the post can't run for it next year.