Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Broker Details $2 Million In Commissions In Martha Shoffner Trial
Local & Regional News
Tue September 10, 2013
Benton Officers Allowed To Work After Driver Dies
Benton police say two officers who shot a suspect dead during a chase have been allowed to return to duty.
The officers were working with a narcotics unit July 30 and had attempted to pull over 29-year-old Clifford Jones but he sped away on Interstate 30.
A statement from the Benton Police Department said Jones started to shoot at officers after they placed a device in the road to deflate his tires.
The officers returned fire and Jones later veered off the highway and came to rest against a concrete barrier. Jones was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Saline County prosecutor's office said Monday that officers were justified to shoot back at Jones.
The officers' names were not released because they work in a special investigative unit.