Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Former KLRE Manager Madison Hodges Dies
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Local & Regional News
Tue September 10, 2013
Benton Officers Allowed To Work After Driver Dies
Benton police say two officers who shot a suspect dead during a chase have been allowed to return to duty.
The officers were working with a narcotics unit July 30 and had attempted to pull over 29-year-old Clifford Jones but he sped away on Interstate 30.
A statement from the Benton Police Department said Jones started to shoot at officers after they placed a device in the road to deflate his tires.
The officers returned fire and Jones later veered off the highway and came to rest against a concrete barrier. Jones was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Saline County prosecutor's office said Monday that officers were justified to shoot back at Jones.
The officers' names were not released because they work in a special investigative unit.