Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Court Ruling In Flash Floods That Killed 20 At SW Arkansas Campground
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
Notes On Music
Thu March 28, 2013
The Big Apple
So why is New York City called the “Big Apple”? In the 1920’s, John Fitzgerald, a sports writer for the New York Morning Telegraph, used the term that jockeys called the City’s race tracks.
And by the late 20‘s, jazz musicians began referring to the City as “The Big Apple”...the jazz capital of the world. So, it seems the name derives somewhat from music.