Most Active Stories
- Frank Lloyd Wright House Being Reassembled In NW Arkansas After Move
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- Three Accused Of Defrauding Arkansas Food Program For The Poor
- Attorney General-elect Rutledge Pleased Outgoing A.G. Appealing Same-Sex Marriage Ruling
- Daniel Black, Arkansas Author
Notes On Music
Thu March 28, 2013
The Big Apple
So why is New York City called the “Big Apple”? In the 1920’s, John Fitzgerald, a sports writer for the New York Morning Telegraph, used the term that jockeys called the City’s race tracks.
And by the late 20‘s, jazz musicians began referring to the City as “The Big Apple”...the jazz capital of the world. So, it seems the name derives somewhat from music.