Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Notes On Music
Thu March 28, 2013
The Big Apple
So why is New York City called the “Big Apple”? In the 1920’s, John Fitzgerald, a sports writer for the New York Morning Telegraph, used the term that jockeys called the City’s race tracks.
And by the late 20‘s, jazz musicians began referring to the City as “The Big Apple”...the jazz capital of the world. So, it seems the name derives somewhat from music.