Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Final Week Of Legislative Session
Mon April 15, 2013
Big Week For Arkansas Legislators As Wrap-up Nears
Arkansas legislators are working to wrap up this year's session by Friday and they still have a variety of significant issues to address before they can go home.
Lawmakers have to decide whether to extend health insurance to 250,000 people through the Medicaid program, finalize the state's $4.9 billion budget and vote on $125 million in state financing for a proposed steel mill in Osceola.
Legislators are also looking at a package of about $100 million in tax cuts. The tax proposals would cut the state's income and capital gains taxes, as well as taxes paid by manufacturers and farmers.
Also pending before the Legislature is Governor Mike Beebe's grocery tax cut, which is contingent on a decrease in desegregation payments to three Little Rock school districts.