Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Former KLRE Manager Madison Hodges Dies
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Final Week Of Legislative Session
Mon April 15, 2013
Big Week For Arkansas Legislators As Wrap-up Nears
Arkansas legislators are working to wrap up this year's session by Friday and they still have a variety of significant issues to address before they can go home.
Lawmakers have to decide whether to extend health insurance to 250,000 people through the Medicaid program, finalize the state's $4.9 billion budget and vote on $125 million in state financing for a proposed steel mill in Osceola.
Legislators are also looking at a package of about $100 million in tax cuts. The tax proposals would cut the state's income and capital gains taxes, as well as taxes paid by manufacturers and farmers.
Also pending before the Legislature is Governor Mike Beebe's grocery tax cut, which is contingent on a decrease in desegregation payments to three Little Rock school districts.