Central Arkansas Transit Authority, or CATA, will host the first of six public meetings Monday evening as part of its ongoing rebranding project.
Executive Director Jarod Varner hopes the meetings will gather information about the types of improvements to public transit area residents want and are willing to pay for.
“Basically state law allows for a quarter-cent of sales tax (revenue) to be dedicated to transit, so that’s one thing we’ll talk to the community about," Varner said, "what we’d be able to fund with that dedicated source of funding.”
Improvements already scheduled for later this summer include 15 new buses and 30 new bus shelters, all under the new name of Rock Region METRO. A Bus Rapid Transit system, similar to the one in Cleveland, Ohio, is among the additional options to be discussed.
Here is a list of the meetings taking place in the coming weeks:
• June 22nd 6:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M. Main Library 100 Rock Street, Little Rock, East Room
• June 23rd 5:30 P.M. to 6:45 P.M. Laman Library 2801 Orange Street North Little Rock Room 126
• June 25th 6:00 P.M. to & 7:30 P.M. Southwest Community Center 6401 Baseline Road, Little Rock
• June 30th 6:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M. Better Community Development Center 3604 West 12th Street, Little Rock
• July 6th 6:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M. Jess Odom Community Center 110 Edgewood Drive, Maumelle
• July 7th 6:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M. Bill Harmon Recreation Center 101 Shelby Road, Sherwood