Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Former KLRE Manager Madison Hodges Dies
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Local & Regional News
Tue August 20, 2013
Chaffee Crossing Touted As Site For Veterans Home
Leaders in Fort Smith are pitching their city as a "perfect fit" for the state's new veterans home.
Earlier this month, the Arkansas Veterans Home Task Force identified Fort Smith, Benton, Jacksonville and Russellville as potential sites for the $22 million veterans home.
On Monday, representatives from the task force toured Fort Smith's proposed site at Chaffee Crossing.
The Southwest Times Record reports the 25-acre site is next to the planned Interstate 49 route and adjacent to Camp Hope for Heroes, a service facility for veterans.
Mayor Sandy Sanders says Fort Smith was founded as a military outpost and has a long history of supporting members of the military.
The 22-member task force is looking to replace a Little Rock home that state officials closed because of deteriorating conditions.