Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Court Ruling In Flash Floods That Killed 20 At SW Arkansas Campground
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
Local & Regional News
Tue August 20, 2013
Chaffee Crossing Touted As Site For Veterans Home
Leaders in Fort Smith are pitching their city as a "perfect fit" for the state's new veterans home.
Earlier this month, the Arkansas Veterans Home Task Force identified Fort Smith, Benton, Jacksonville and Russellville as potential sites for the $22 million veterans home.
On Monday, representatives from the task force toured Fort Smith's proposed site at Chaffee Crossing.
The Southwest Times Record reports the 25-acre site is next to the planned Interstate 49 route and adjacent to Camp Hope for Heroes, a service facility for veterans.
Mayor Sandy Sanders says Fort Smith was founded as a military outpost and has a long history of supporting members of the military.
The 22-member task force is looking to replace a Little Rock home that state officials closed because of deteriorating conditions.