Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Broker Details $2 Million In Commissions In Martha Shoffner Trial
Notes on Music
Fri October 18, 2013
Charles-Valentin Alkan, who lived from 1813 to 1888, is not a name widely known.
A French composer and pianist, he was among the leading virtuoso pianists of his time. Disappointed at the death of Chopin, he retreated to a recluse life for twenty years before again appearing in a public concert.
A devout Jew, he was the first composer to incorporate Jewish melodies in art-music.