Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Notes On Music
Thu April 4, 2013
Compositions For A New Nation
William Billings was America’s first prominent composer, publishing The New England Psalm Singer in 1770, the first book of songs written by an American.
His friend, Paul Revere, engraved the cover. Not everyone enjoyed his music, however. Pranksters hung two cats by their tails from a signpost outside his house, comparing the cats’ cries to his music.