Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Poll: Ross, Hutchinson In Virtual Dead Heat In Governor’s Race
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
Notes On Music
Thu April 4, 2013
Compositions For A New Nation
William Billings was America’s first prominent composer, publishing The New England Psalm Singer in 1770, the first book of songs written by an American.
His friend, Paul Revere, engraved the cover. Not everyone enjoyed his music, however. Pranksters hung two cats by their tails from a signpost outside his house, comparing the cats’ cries to his music.