Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
- Court Ruling In Flash Floods That Killed 20 At SW Arkansas Campground
Local & Regional News
Mon March 18, 2013
Consultant Reports Delivered On Proposed Steel Mill
Consultant reports on a proposed $1.1 billion steel mill in northeast Arkansas have been delivered to the Bureau of Legislative Research.
House Speaker Davy Carter said Monday that he had not yet had time to analyze them - but said that the reports have been delivered indicates progress.
The Legislature is being asked by Big River Steel to provide $125 million in state financing for the plant that's proposed in Osceola.
The House and Senate hired two consultants, Regional Economic Models Inc. and Global Insights Inc., to conduct independent financial analyses of the mill proposal.
Carter acknowledged that Nucor Steel in Blytheville has lobbied against the plan - but says he expects the financing package to be approved as long as no red flags emerge.