Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Mon March 18, 2013
Consultant Reports Delivered On Proposed Steel Mill
Consultant reports on a proposed $1.1 billion steel mill in northeast Arkansas have been delivered to the Bureau of Legislative Research.
House Speaker Davy Carter said Monday that he had not yet had time to analyze them - but said that the reports have been delivered indicates progress.
The Legislature is being asked by Big River Steel to provide $125 million in state financing for the plant that's proposed in Osceola.
The House and Senate hired two consultants, Regional Economic Models Inc. and Global Insights Inc., to conduct independent financial analyses of the mill proposal.
Carter acknowledged that Nucor Steel in Blytheville has lobbied against the plan - but says he expects the financing package to be approved as long as no red flags emerge.