Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Local & Regional News
Mon March 18, 2013
Consultant Reports Delivered On Proposed Steel Mill
Consultant reports on a proposed $1.1 billion steel mill in northeast Arkansas have been delivered to the Bureau of Legislative Research.
House Speaker Davy Carter said Monday that he had not yet had time to analyze them - but said that the reports have been delivered indicates progress.
The Legislature is being asked by Big River Steel to provide $125 million in state financing for the plant that's proposed in Osceola.
The House and Senate hired two consultants, Regional Economic Models Inc. and Global Insights Inc., to conduct independent financial analyses of the mill proposal.
Carter acknowledged that Nucor Steel in Blytheville has lobbied against the plan - but says he expects the financing package to be approved as long as no red flags emerge.