Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Fri April 12, 2013
Consumers Cut Back, Sales Reports Show
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
NPR's business news starts with less shopping.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
GREENE: Higher taxes and slow hiring cut into consumer purchasing last month. That's what analysts say is behind a disappointing March retail sales report. Today, the Commerce Department reported .4 percent drop - that's the biggest drop in nine months. Consumers cut back at auto dealers and at gas stations. They also bought less from department and grocery stores, and they bought fewer electronics and sporting goods. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.