Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Local & Regional News
Thu February 13, 2014
Crystal Bridges Acquires Renowned Sculpture 'Hanging Heart'
Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art has acquired "Hanging Heart (Gold/Magenta) by renowned American sculptor Jeff Koons.
The museum in northwest Arkansas announced the acquisition Thursday and said the sculpture is on display just in time for Valentine's Day.
The 3,000-pound sculpture of a bright gold heart is more than 9 1/2 feet wide and is adorned with a magenta, stainless steel ribbon. The sculpture is suspended from the ceiling of one of the museum's glass-walled bridges.
The piece is one of five unique versions created by Koons, each with a different transparent color coating. It was the only one retained by the artist until Koons sold it directly to Crystal Bridges in 2013.
The purchase price wasn't disclosed. Another version of "Hanging Heart" sold in 2007 for $23.6 million.