Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Broker Details $2 Million In Commissions In Martha Shoffner Trial
Notes on Music
Fri September 6, 2013
The Definition of Sampling
It’s not unusual for composers to quote part of another person’s composition in their own work to elicit a mood or image. Two works which exemplify this practice are quotes of the Star Spangled Banner, depicting the American Lt. Pinkerton, in Puccini’s opera, Madame Butterfly, and Tchaikovsky’s use of the Russian and French national anthems in his 1812 Overture.