Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Notes on Music
Wed April 9, 2014
Edward Elgar: Inspired by Nature
The Dream of Gerontius, composed by Edward Elgar in 1900, is an oratorio which relates the journey of a pious man’s soul from his deathbed to his judgement before God.
While composing the work, Elgar would often walk from his cottage to a nearby village along a tree-lined lane. After one such walk he wrote, “The trees are singing my music. Or have I sung theirs?”