Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Local & Regional News
Fri May 16, 2014
Ex-Saline County Sheriff Arrested On Felony Charges
Former Saline County Sheriff Bruce Pennington and two former sheriff's employees are facing felony charges.
Court documents filed Friday show Pennington and former office worker Jo Nell Mallory charged with felony abuse of public trust and theft of property. Investigators allege they stole money and had work done at their homes in exchange for dismissing fines or community service sentences.
Pennington is charged with misdemeanor theft for allegedly pocketing a $1,000 check to the sheriff's office, money he indicated was spent on protective vests. He's also accused of getting free granite countertops in exchange for letting a man avoid community service.
Pennington was arrested Friday at a Benton Wal-Mart. Ex-sheriff's Lt. Mike Frost faces felony counts, including of delivery of a controlled substance. Attorneys aren't yet listed for the defendants.