Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Local & Regional News
Fri May 16, 2014
Ex-Saline County Sheriff Arrested On Felony Charges
Former Saline County Sheriff Bruce Pennington and two former sheriff's employees are facing felony charges.
Court documents filed Friday show Pennington and former office worker Jo Nell Mallory charged with felony abuse of public trust and theft of property. Investigators allege they stole money and had work done at their homes in exchange for dismissing fines or community service sentences.
Pennington is charged with misdemeanor theft for allegedly pocketing a $1,000 check to the sheriff's office, money he indicated was spent on protective vests. He's also accused of getting free granite countertops in exchange for letting a man avoid community service.
Pennington was arrested Friday at a Benton Wal-Mart. Ex-sheriff's Lt. Mike Frost faces felony counts, including of delivery of a controlled substance. Attorneys aren't yet listed for the defendants.