Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Local & Regional News
Mon April 21, 2014
First Section Of Bella Vista Bypass To Open
Highway officials say the first section of the long-awaited Bella Vista Bypass will open to traffic in northern Arkansas this week.
The three-mile section of the bypass is opening Tuesday west of Hiwasse on Arkansas 72. The segment is a part of the 18.9-mile Bella Vista Bypass project, aimed at relieving congestion on U.S. 71 through Bella Vista and north into Missouri.
A Fayetteville company, APAC-Central, Inc., was awarded a $19.8 million contract for the roadway opening this week. It was paid for by both federal and state gas tax money, with some of it financed by a U.S. Department of Transportation grant.
Highway department spokesman Danny Straessle says the total construction cost for the Bella Vista Bypass is estimated at $150.6 million.