Most Active Stories
- Vietnam War Project To Collect Stories Of Arkansas Veterans
- Little Rock Apartment Complex Found To Discriminate Against Latinos
- Little Rock School Board Discusses Plans to Restructure Schools And Raise Funds
- AG Candidate Steel Gives Legislative Agenda, Rutledge Criticizes Sex Offender Vote
- State House Race Heats Up Over Records Search Regarding Four-Year-Old
Local & Regional News
Mon April 21, 2014
First Section Of Bella Vista Bypass To Open
Highway officials say the first section of the long-awaited Bella Vista Bypass will open to traffic in northern Arkansas this week.
The three-mile section of the bypass is opening Tuesday west of Hiwasse on Arkansas 72. The segment is a part of the 18.9-mile Bella Vista Bypass project, aimed at relieving congestion on U.S. 71 through Bella Vista and north into Missouri.
A Fayetteville company, APAC-Central, Inc., was awarded a $19.8 million contract for the roadway opening this week. It was paid for by both federal and state gas tax money, with some of it financed by a U.S. Department of Transportation grant.
Highway department spokesman Danny Straessle says the total construction cost for the Bella Vista Bypass is estimated at $150.6 million.