Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
- Poll: Ross, Hutchinson In Virtual Dead Heat In Governor’s Race
Fri May 31, 2013
Flood Damages Arkansas 28 In Scott County; Road Closed
State highway officials have closed Arkansas 28 in Scott County because floodwaters from the Fourche La Fave River undermined approaches to several bridges and other structures.
Heavy rains overnight pushed the river out of its banks. Spokesman Danny Straessle of the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department says Arkansas 28 has been closed from Parks to the Yell County line.
Straessle said fast-moving water washed out several sections of the highway near bridges and other structures.
Highway crews began rehabilitation work Friday and intend to work through the weekend to repair damage. The road could be closed for a week.
There are few state highways in the area, so the department will not mark a formal detour.
For a time overnight, crews closed U.S. 71 as the river inundated a bridge.