Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Wildlife Federation Opposes Ballot Issue 1
- Control Of Arkansas's Legislature Is Likely To Come Down To A Handful Of Races
- National Analysts Weigh In On Arkansas Governor And Senate Races
- Arkansas Voters To Consider Issue 3, Proposing Ethics Reforms
- Latest Poll Shows Hutchinson Leading Race For Arkansas Governor
Fri May 31, 2013
Flood Damages Arkansas 28 In Scott County; Road Closed
State highway officials have closed Arkansas 28 in Scott County because floodwaters from the Fourche La Fave River undermined approaches to several bridges and other structures.
Heavy rains overnight pushed the river out of its banks. Spokesman Danny Straessle of the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department says Arkansas 28 has been closed from Parks to the Yell County line.
Straessle said fast-moving water washed out several sections of the highway near bridges and other structures.
Highway crews began rehabilitation work Friday and intend to work through the weekend to repair damage. The road could be closed for a week.
There are few state highways in the area, so the department will not mark a formal detour.
For a time overnight, crews closed U.S. 71 as the river inundated a bridge.