Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Former KLRE Manager Madison Hodges Dies
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Notes on Music
Wed July 24, 2013
Frets: Not Just For Musical Instruments
Some stringed instruments, such as guitars, mandolins, and banjos, have frets along the fingerboard, raised metal bars that help to ensure the correct pitch.
Ornamental design in wood, typically latticework of interlacing parts, is called fretwork, with the three-dimensional shape referred to as a fret.
The similarity with instruments is that the frets on each are raised above the surface.