Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Notes on Music
Wed July 24, 2013
Frets: Not Just For Musical Instruments
Some stringed instruments, such as guitars, mandolins, and banjos, have frets along the fingerboard, raised metal bars that help to ensure the correct pitch.
Ornamental design in wood, typically latticework of interlacing parts, is called fretwork, with the three-dimensional shape referred to as a fret.
The similarity with instruments is that the frets on each are raised above the surface.