Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
- What Survey Finds About The Economics Of Race In Pulaski County
- Interstate 49 To Run Through Western Arkansas, Connecting LA and MO
Notes on Music
Wed July 24, 2013
Frets: Not Just For Musical Instruments
Some stringed instruments, such as guitars, mandolins, and banjos, have frets along the fingerboard, raised metal bars that help to ensure the correct pitch.
Ornamental design in wood, typically latticework of interlacing parts, is called fretwork, with the three-dimensional shape referred to as a fret.
The similarity with instruments is that the frets on each are raised above the surface.