Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Thu February 6, 2014
Gov. Mike Beebe Declares Emergency Because Of Wintry Weather
Gov. Mike Beebe says damage to private and public property during this week's winter weather was bad enough to qualify as an emergency.
The governor issued a proclamation Thursday suspending some purchasing laws so state agencies can aid local governments impacted by ice and snow that has fallen since the weekend. Arkansas' governors have power to issue emergency executive orders when warranted.
Under Thursday's proclamation, Beebe lifted restrictions on the Office of Purchasing, the Arkansas Building Authority, the State Office of Personnel Management and other departments so they can help the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management help local political subdivisions.
Snow fell in portions of the state last weekend and an ice storm hit much of the same area Tuesday. More snow fell Thursday and more is expected this weekend.