Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Local & Regional News
Fri October 18, 2013
Harding Student Dies In Collision With Patrol Car
Authorities say a Harding University graduate student was killed after she was struck by a patrol car driven by a White County sheriff's deputy.
The White County Sheriff's Office says 24-year-old Courtney Book was riding her bicycle Thursday night when she was struck by a patrol car driven by Lt. Brandon Grimes. A spokesman for Harding says Book was a graduate student in the college of education.
The Daily Citizen reports Book had been a Harding student since 2008, earning an undergraduate degree in history in 2012.
White County Chief Deputy Phillip Miller says the collision is being investigated by Arkansas State Police. He says it appears to be an accident, and the sheriff's department doesn't anticipate taking any personnel action against Grimes.