Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Court Ruling In Flash Floods That Killed 20 At SW Arkansas Campground
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
Local & Regional News
Fri October 18, 2013
Harding Student Dies In Collision With Patrol Car
Authorities say a Harding University graduate student was killed after she was struck by a patrol car driven by a White County sheriff's deputy.
The White County Sheriff's Office says 24-year-old Courtney Book was riding her bicycle Thursday night when she was struck by a patrol car driven by Lt. Brandon Grimes. A spokesman for Harding says Book was a graduate student in the college of education.
The Daily Citizen reports Book had been a Harding student since 2008, earning an undergraduate degree in history in 2012.
White County Chief Deputy Phillip Miller says the collision is being investigated by Arkansas State Police. He says it appears to be an accident, and the sheriff's department doesn't anticipate taking any personnel action against Grimes.