Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Sun April 12, 2009
Homeless children in Arkansas: Part One
Most parents try to protect their children from some of life's cruel realities, like broken relationships, sickness, discrimination, and even an understanding of death. However, with the nation's economy in a state of flux, poverty is on the rise and there are some parents who are unable to safeguard their children from experiencing homelessness.
One of every 50 children in America experiences homelessness and a new report by the National Center on Family Homelessness says most states have inadequate plans to address the growing problem. In the reports ranking system, Arkansas is in the bottom five with states that have poor performance in the areas of child homelessness per capita, child well-being, risk for child homelessness, and state policy and planning.
In part one of a two part series, FM 89's Malcolm Glover goes inside Our House, a shelter community in Little Rock that tries to combat homelessness through a variety of child care, education, and job training programs for homeless children and families. Click here to learn more about Our House and its programs.