Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Christie and Romney Visiting Arkansas: How Much Of It Is For Hutchinson?
- David Pryor Stumping For His Son In North Little Rock
Mon April 13, 2009
Homeless children in Arkansas: Part Two
There is a growing need for facilities and programs that support homeless children and families, since the deepening recession means more home foreclosures and job losses.
In Arkansas, relatively few homeless shelters cater to families, but then there's Our House in Little Rock. The Our House shelter community consists of an 80-bed shelter, a 39-bed family housing program with18 family rooms, an education and job training center, a free childcare center, and a feeding program that serves over 45,000 meals per year.
Our House also offers a variety of free services,like addiction recovery groups, after school programs, parenting classes and job search assistance, in an effort to help homeless families transform their lives.
FM 89's Malcolm Glover tours the Our House campus and talks with residents and staff about their experiences in this final installment of a two part series on homeless children and families in Arkansas. Click here to learn more about Our House and its programs.