Most Active Stories
- Authorities: Suspect In Murder Of Realtor Had Appointment To View Home
- Suspect Arrested In Disappearance Of Arkansas Real Estate Agent
- Cotton's Farm Bill Ad Found To Be False By Three Fact Checkers
- Authorities Search For Missing Little Rock Real Estate Agent
- Exhibit On Arkansas Times Showcases 40 Years
Mon April 13, 2009
Homeless children in Arkansas: Part Two
There is a growing need for facilities and programs that support homeless children and families, since the deepening recession means more home foreclosures and job losses.
In Arkansas, relatively few homeless shelters cater to families, but then there's Our House in Little Rock. The Our House shelter community consists of an 80-bed shelter, a 39-bed family housing program with18 family rooms, an education and job training center, a free childcare center, and a feeding program that serves over 45,000 meals per year.
Our House also offers a variety of free services,like addiction recovery groups, after school programs, parenting classes and job search assistance, in an effort to help homeless families transform their lives.
FM 89's Malcolm Glover tours the Our House campus and talks with residents and staff about their experiences in this final installment of a two part series on homeless children and families in Arkansas. Click here to learn more about Our House and its programs.