Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Notes On Music
Wed March 27, 2013
It's Not About The Goat
Female goats are referred to as “nannies”, male goats are called “billies”, with their offspring being called “kids.” Eventually the term “kids” grew to mean children up to the age of puberty.
In 1938 Aaron Copland composed a ballet called Billy the Kid which has become a staple of ballet repertory. The outlaw was called “kid” due to his young age... not because he resembled a goat!