Most Active Stories
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Director Of UAMS Myeloma Institute Stepping Down
- Clinton School Building Becomes Oldest In Arkansas To Receive Certification
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
Notes On Music
Wed March 27, 2013
It's Not About The Goat
Female goats are referred to as “nannies”, male goats are called “billies”, with their offspring being called “kids.” Eventually the term “kids” grew to mean children up to the age of puberty.
In 1938 Aaron Copland composed a ballet called Billy the Kid which has become a staple of ballet repertory. The outlaw was called “kid” due to his young age... not because he resembled a goat!