Most Active Stories
- Fire At Arkansas Nuclear One Caused By Transformer Failure
- Second Largest Payout Ever Could Be Big for Arkansas Lottery Commission Revenue
- As Arkansas Remains Highly Obese, State Health Officials Consider New Solutions
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays
- Staph Germs Hide Out In The Hidden Recesses Of Your Nose
Notes On Music
Wed March 27, 2013
It's Not About The Goat
Female goats are referred to as “nannies”, male goats are called “billies”, with their offspring being called “kids.” Eventually the term “kids” grew to mean children up to the age of puberty.
In 1938 Aaron Copland composed a ballet called Billy the Kid which has become a staple of ballet repertory. The outlaw was called “kid” due to his young age... not because he resembled a goat!