Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Director Of UAMS Myeloma Institute Stepping Down
- Clinton School Building Becomes Oldest In Arkansas To Receive Certification
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
Oaklawn Hosts Major Meet Saturday
Thu March 14, 2013
Jockeys Prepare Horses For Rebel Stakes At Oaklawn
Horse racing is well underway at Oaklawn in Hot Springs and there are only a few major events left before the racing season ends April 13th. According to Jennifer Hoyt with the racetrack, the much anticipated Rebel Stakes begins this Saturday.
“The Rebel Stakes race has a purse of $600,000 and this year there is 85 points available for horses that are looking to make the Kentucky Derby,” said Hoyt. “This is our last big prep-race for horses wanting to make the Arkansas Derby and the Kentucky Derby beyond that.”
Hoyt says the first race for the Rebel Stakes starts at 1p.m. Saturday and gates open at 11. There are five weeks left in the racing season.