Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Notes on Music
Fri September 6, 2013
John Knowles Paine
John Knowles Paine, born in 1839, was the first American composer to achieve fame for large-scaled musical works. Among other firsts: his courses in music theory and appreciation became the model for Harvard’s music program, he was the first guest conductor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, was a founder of the American Guild of Organists, and he wrote the first American symphony. Quite a guy!