Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Broker Details $2 Million In Commissions In Martha Shoffner Trial
Notes on Music
Fri September 6, 2013
John Knowles Paine
John Knowles Paine, born in 1839, was the first American composer to achieve fame for large-scaled musical works. Among other firsts: his courses in music theory and appreciation became the model for Harvard’s music program, he was the first guest conductor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, was a founder of the American Guild of Organists, and he wrote the first American symphony. Quite a guy!