Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Former KLRE Manager Madison Hodges Dies
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Human Rights Campaign Releases First Large-Scale Survey of LGBT Arkansans
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
Local & Regional News
Thu March 6, 2014
Judge Drops Out Of Arkansas Appeals Court Race
A circuit judge in Conway has withdrawn from the race for an Arkansas Court of Appeals seat after an online report questioned comments that the judge made anonymously on a message board.
Circuit Judge Mike Maggio acknowledged Wednesday that he made the statements online about women, sex and actress Charlize Theron's adoption proceedings.
Maggio says he takes "full responsibility" for the comments and apologized for a lapse in judgment.
Maggio says he withdrew from the race for a seat on Arkansas' appeals court, leaving only one candidate left in the contest for the vacant position.
Maggio's comments were first reported on blogger Matt Campbell's Blue Hog Report website.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that Maggio's tenure in the 20th Judicial District expires at the end of the year.