Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Notes On Music
Tue June 11, 2013
A Most Exemplary Czech
Bedrich Smetana was the composer who most exemplified the character of his native Czechoslovakia.
In Má Vlast, or My Fatherland, he portrays the history, legends, and landscape of the country, making a strong statement of nationality.
Unfortunately, Smetana eventually went deaf, had a mental breakdown, and died in 1884 in an asylum. What a loss.