Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Mon March 18, 2013
Napoleon's Ring To Josephine Up For Auction
Originally published on Mon March 18, 2013 11:38 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne. When Napoleon Bonaparte proposed to Josephine, he gave her an engagement ring: a diamond and sapphire set side by side, both tear-shaped. Josephine shed many tears when her beloved annulled the marriage so he could produce an heir. Still, the story goes, on his death bed, Napoleon's last word was Josephine. Now that ring is up for auction, and, despite the romance, the French auction house is unimpressed, calling the ring a very ordinary one. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.