Most Active Stories
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Old State House To Screen "A Face in the Crowd" - 1957 Movie Shot in Piggott, Ark.
- Broker Details $2 Million In Commissions In Martha Shoffner Trial
- Defense To Begin Presenting Its Side In Martha Shoffner Trial
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Notes On Music
Thu March 28, 2013
The Nation's Oldest Orchestras
So what are the oldest orchestras in the U.S.?
The oldest is the New York Philharmonic, formed in 1842, the second is the Boston Symphony, formed in 1881, with the Chicago Symphony dating from 1891, followed by the St. Louis Symphony in 1893, and the New Haven Symphony in 1895.
Sounds like classical music is here to stay!