Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Sun June 16, 2013
Oaklawn, Planning Commission Work On Expansion
City planners in Hot Springs have imposed a set of conditions on Oaklawn Park's planned expansion of its casino-style gambling operation.
The thoroughbred race track wants to expand its number of tables and machines by about 50 percent.
The city's Planning Commission has stipulated that all changes to vehicular and pedestrian traffic have to be approved by the state highway department. Those permits have to be in place before work starts.
The Sentinel-Record reports the city discussed requiring Oaklawn to install a pedestrian bridge over Central Avenue. But the track says it's not practical to build a crossing that can accommodate the crush of people leaving at the same time at the end of a day of racing.
Oaklawn will have to pay for any street and signal improvements.