Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Court Ruling In Flash Floods That Killed 20 At SW Arkansas Campground
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
Local & Regional News
Mon April 29, 2013
Oaklawn Sets Festival For Kentucky Derby Run
Live racing is over for the year at Oaklawn thoroughbred race track in Hot Springs but the venue is still working to attract patrons for a barbecue competition that coincides with the Kentucky Derby.
The infield will open at 10 a.m. on Saturday and admission is free. The track will offer simulcast wagering on the big race while fans take in the Smokelawn BBQ Championship and listen to live music.
Fifty barbecue teams will compete for $10,000 in prize money and several bands will play at a stage on the infield. Oaklawn says fans are welcome to bring lawn chairs.Other attractions planned for Saturday are a beer garden, antique motorcycle show, and Kids Zone with petting zoo and inflatable rides.