Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Poll: Ross, Hutchinson In Virtual Dead Heat In Governor’s Race
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
Notes On Music
Thu April 4, 2013
The Oldest Song In The World
More than 3,400 years ago in the Mediterranean port city of Ugarit, now part of Syria, an unknown composer wrote a hymn in praise of Nikkal, the wife of the moon god, the words and music chiseled into a stone tablet.
But it wasn’t until the 1970s that University of California professor Anne Kilmer was able to decipher them. It is the oldest surviving song in the world.