Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
Notes On Music
Thu April 4, 2013
The Oldest Song In The World
More than 3,400 years ago in the Mediterranean port city of Ugarit, now part of Syria, an unknown composer wrote a hymn in praise of Nikkal, the wife of the moon god, the words and music chiseled into a stone tablet.
But it wasn’t until the 1970s that University of California professor Anne Kilmer was able to decipher them. It is the oldest surviving song in the world.