Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Local & Regional News
Tue July 30, 2013
One Missing Inmate Killed In Crash, Another In Custody
A Jackson County jail escapee has been killed during a police pursuit in Missouri.
Jackson County Sheriff David Lucas says Steven Mitchell died Tuesday afternoon after crashing the vehicle he was driving while trying to elude police in Mtn. View, Missouri, about 140 miles north of Newport.
Lucas says police stopped the vehicle driven by Mitchell's wife about noon Tuesday for speeding and when she was removed from the car Mitchell got behind the wheel and drove away.
He was spotted still driving the vehicle about three hours later and crashed while again trying to elude officers.
A second inmate who escaped with Mitchell early Monday was recaptured earlier in Independence County. Lucas says Mitchell's wife - Jessica Mitchell - is being held for helping in the escape.