Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Wildlife Federation Opposes Ballot Issue 1
- Control Of Arkansas's Legislature Is Likely To Come Down To A Handful Of Races
- National Analysts Weigh In On Arkansas Governor And Senate Races
- Democrats Make Their Case As Day One Of Early Voting Surpasses 2010 Midterm
- Arkansas Voters To Consider Issue 3, Proposing Ethics Reforms
Local & Regional News
Tue August 20, 2013
Organizers Prepare For Little Rock Marathon Training Sessions
The 2014 Little Rock Marathon is over seven months away, but organizers say now is the time for participants to prepare for race day.
Geneva Hampton is the marathon’s executive director. She says informational meetings over the next few weeks will ensure people are ready for training programs.
“We tell everybody that Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither is a marathoner,” said Hampton. “What we offer is a free training program to anybody that wants to prepare for our race in March and our training program is offered across the nation. Tom and Hobbit Singleton, who have been our coaches since we started, train people all over the country.”
Hampton says there are two phases of training. The buildup phase prepares runners for training and the actual marathon training phase begins in October. She says Tom and Hobbit Singleton have coached about 13,000 people over the course of the marathon and they are pretty knowledgeable about what runners should do to get across the finish line.
An information meeting for people interested in the free training starts Tuesday night at 6 on the third floor of the River Market building in downtown Little Rock. Click here for more information on the training program.