Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Tue February 4, 2014
Outages Top 40,000 In Arkansas Ice Storm
Freezing rain and other wintery precipitation moving across Arkansas has brought hazardous road conditions, tens of thousands of power outages and numerous school closures.
Electric outages topped 40,000 Tuesday afternoon, as the last of a winter storm system dragged its tendrils across the state. Entergy Arkansas reported 36,765 customers without power and First Electric Cooperative had 3,237 customers in the dark.
The greatest concentration of Entergy's outages is in Garland County, where more than 7,000 customers are out. First Electric's outages are mainly in Perry and Pulaski counties.
The National Weather Service issued an ice storm warning for a large part of north-central Arkansas and a winter storm warning for northeast Arkansas. The winter storm warning is in effect until 8 p.m.