Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Court Ruling In Flash Floods That Killed 20 At SW Arkansas Campground
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
Around the Nation
Fri September 20, 2013
Part-Time Judge Picks Laughs Over The Law
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Renee Montagne with an update on a joking judge. Vince Sicari presided as a part-time judge in South Hackensack, until his moonlighting as standup comic and TV actor took center stage. Because some of his characters were racist and homophobic, the state ethics committee ruled that he had to choose between laughs and the law.
He appealed but yesterday, New Jersey's Supreme Court also said: Choose. And Sicari resigned from the bench.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.