Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
Notes On Music
Thu April 4, 2013
The musical partita originally referred to a single-instrument piece of music popular in the 16th and 17th centuries, not unlike today’s sonata, but J.S. Bach also used the name for collections of musical pieces as a synonym for suite.
Interestingly, partita also refers to a Tarot card game from the 17th century popular in the Bologna region of Italy.