Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Facts About Fiction
Fri September 6, 2013
This is guest presenter and UALR English student Lauren Pifer with Facts About Fiction.
Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
There’s a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Land of Oz and The Wizard of Oz author L. Frank Baum had a fascination with the theater from a young age. Though he would not live to see the beloved 1939 film of his most famous books, he did contribute to the production in a very unusual way.
Here are the facts: Actor Frank Morgan, who portrayed the eponymous wizard in the film, went through numerous costume changes before settling on the coat and tie seen in the film. The wardrobe team bought an entire rack of coats from a secondhand clothing shop on Main Street for Morgan to go through. He settled on the slightly shabby but still genteel coat with a velvet collar. One hot afternoon, he turned out the pocket and found the name “L. Frank Baum” written inside.
To find out more Facts About Fiction visit KUAR.org