Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Mon August 12, 2013
Poultry Processor To Start Up In Arkadelphia Plant
A specialty poultry processing company says it will hire more than 170 people and invest $5.4 million at a site in Arkadelphia.
Vikon Farms announced Monday that it will operate in a former Petit Jean Poultry plant.
The company will also create jobs outside the plant by contracting with of growers from El Dorado and Union County along with a Vikon-supported hatchery in Prescott.
The Vikon Farms plant will specialize in chickens that are free-range and naturally grown.
The company requires that the birds be fed a grain-only diet, with no added hormones or antibiotics.
The company serves a number of Asian markets. Arkadelphia and Clark County passed an economic development tax, and Vikon Farms is the first company to be brought in since the tax was approved.