Most Active Stories
- Rosanne Cash Reflects As Opening Of Johnny Cash Boyhood Home Nears
- National Weather Service Issues Winter Storm Warning for Arkansas
- Data: Arkansans Curse Minimally and Say “Please” and “Thank You”
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Sat August 3, 2013
Preserving African-American Cemeteries
Originally published on Sat August 3, 2013 5:29 pm
Under a popular park in Washington, D.C., there is a 19th century burial ground that was once the largest African-American cemetery in the city. Advocates want to protect the park from further development and create space for a memorial. But how many other such burial grounds are in similar straits, and how have others solved the problem of co-existing with development and gentrification?