Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Fri November 1, 2013
Pryor To Hold Up Nominee Over ASU ROTC Program
U.S. Sen. Mark Pryor says he will hold up a Department of Defense nominee until Arkansas State University gets answers about the Army's decision to close the school's ROTC program.
Pryor said in a news release on Friday that the Army has not provided justification for its decision on ASU's ROTC program. Pryor says the program at ASU is successful and that he will fight to keep it open.
The Army announced in October that ASU's ROTC program would be discontinued at the end of the 2014-2015 school year.
Pryor's office said he, Sen. John Boozman and Rep. Rick Crawford demanded justification from Army officials about the closing.
Pryor is the lone Democrat in Arkansas' six-member congressional delegation. He's facing a challenge in his re-election bid from Rep. Tom Cotton.