Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Notes On Music
Tue June 11, 2013
The recorder is a vertical flute-like instrument especially popular in the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
It gets its name from the Latin word, “recordori”, a combination of “re” meaning “again” and “cor” meaning “heart.”
Its original meaning was “to go over in the mind”, referring to an old metaphor of “mind” actually meaning “heart.”
Thus we often know music by “heart.”