Most Active Stories
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Director Of UAMS Myeloma Institute Stepping Down
- Clinton School Building Becomes Oldest In Arkansas To Receive Certification
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
Notes on Music
Wed February 27, 2013
The Roman Carnival Overture
The Roman Carnival Overture by Berlioz is a very popular selection essentially made up of music from his opera, Benvenuto Cellini, especially its carnival scene, but is intended to stand on its own as a concert piece. Interestingly, the word “carnival” means “put the meat away”, and refers to Shrove Tuesday, a time of revelry and feasting before the austerity of Lent.